O NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) procura dar um contributo para a definição das literacias necessárias para o nosso século, em que "sociedade e tecnologia muda, por isso também muda a literacia".
Because technology has increased the intensity and complexity of literate environments, the twenty-first century demands that a literate person possess a wide range of abilities and competencies, many literacies. These literacies—from reading online newspapers to participating in virtual classrooms—are multiple, dynamic, and malleable. As in the past, they are inextricably linked with particular histories, life possibilities and social trajectories of individuals and groups.
Por isso, sugere-se, "leitores e escritores" precisam de...
- Develop proficiency with the tools of technology;
- Build relationships with others to pose and solve problems collaboratively andcross-culturally;
- Design and share information for global communities to meet a variety ofpurposes;
- Manage, analyze and synthesize multiple streams of simultaneous information;
- Create, critique, analyze, and evaluate multi-media texts;
- Attend to the ethical responsibilities required by these complex environments.